Author Topic: Registration Free COM  (Read 4106 times)

ukrob

• View Profile
Registration Free COM
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »
I'm using VFP and I'm needing to add encryption into existing deployed applications and came across the chilkat library which I have purchased.

In order to use the active-x on client machines the active-x has to be registered as administrator. This can be a pain as some of my customers do not have IT people or administrative permissions or the ones that do will have 100's of machines to manually run the batch file on if end users don't have admin rights.

%systemroot%syswow64\regsvr32 ChilkatAx-9.5.0-win32.dll

Has anyone managed to use the active-x without registering the active-x with windows? Regfree com?

I've seen this article by Rick https://west-wind.com/wconnect/weblog/ShowEntry.blog?id=890 and I think this could be a good solution to the retrospective deployment problem. I should just be able to distribute the dll and drop it into the software folder and let the vfp exe call run
loCrypt = CreateObject('Chilkat_9_5_0.Crypt2')

Has anyone done this?

Also is putting the MSVC++ 9.0 Runtime Libs files in the application folder also a valid way of distributing the runtime.

I'm trying to cause the least amount of disturbance for 1000's of end users as they wouldn't be able to use the software until an IT admin as done their part.

TIA