Author Topic: What is TLS? How can I force TLS 1.1?  (Read 4161 times)

Chilkat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What is TLS? How can I force TLS 1.1?
« on: December 08, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
What is TLS and how is it used?  Iíve googled it but not quite sure what is means.  If you can give me a brief sentence or two I would appreciate it.

Chilkat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What is TLS? How can I force TLS 1.1?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »
TLS is "SSL".  It's the communications protocol used when you see "https://".   The versioning goes like this:  SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, ...
You don't have to do anything different.  Chilkat will automatically use what the server desires.

Chilkat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 02:40:24 PM »
 Do you know of a way to force each workstation to use 1.1 or 1.2?  Is there a registry setting to disable SSL entirely?

Chilkat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 02:45:34 PM »
First, Chilkat does not depend on the operating system for TLS settings, so whatever exists in the Windows registry has no bearing when using Chilkat.

The client-side of a TLS connection cannot force a particular version.  The TLS protocol is designed in this way:  The client (Chilkat) tells the server the highest version of TLS it will accept.  The server then chooses the version to be used and tells the client.  For example, Chilkat might say "I can handle TLS versions up to 1.2".  The server might say, OK, let's use "1.2".  And so 1.2 is used.

Chilkat has a property named SslProtocol  that allows you to define what Chilkat will accept.  I recommend leaving it at the default setting.  For example, if you set SslProtocol = "TLS 1.0 or higher", then Chilkat will reject the connection if the server chooses anything below TLS 1.0 (such as SSL 3.0).